- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
Sarah Smolyansky ’14
What made you choose the school?
I am currently a senior at Lake Forest College. I chose this school for several reasons, including its small size, liberal arts focus, diverse student population, and close proximity to Chicago. These unique facets of the College have met my expectations and beyond, allowing me to grow socially and intellectually in ways I never thought possible.
What are you studying and what is the career path you would like to take?
I am majoring in Sociology and Anthropology and double minoring in Philosophy and Legal Studies with a pre-law focus. Though I am not entirely sure of which type of law I would like to practice, a recent internship put property tax law at the top of my list.
Who is your favorite professor at the college? Why?
Though I have a few favorite professors at the College, I would have to say that I have had the most positive experience with anthropology professor, Professor Mawyer. As my advisor since freshman year, Professor Mawyer has been with me through every step of the way. For example, when my naïve freshman self discovered that pre-law is not a legitimate major, he opened my eyes to the world of sociology and anthropology. Beyond introducing me to this field, Professor Mawyer has played a primary role in helping me grow as a student, thinker, and future professional. I suspect that without his teaching and guidance throughout my time at the College, I would not be where I am today in terms of my intellect and drive to succeed.
What is your favorite social media and why? Do you have a Twitter handle?
My favorite social media is Instagram because I enjoy sharing photographs of special moments with my family and friends. I also like to utilize Facebook as a means of communication as well as information gathering and sharing. These two social media networks can be quite distracting during the school year, so I have decided to keep my distance from Twitter!
Where is your favorite place on Lake Forest College's campus and why?
I was on the Lake Forest College poms team for two years, so my favorite place on campus would have to be the dance studio. This space is filled with happy memories spent with great friends and never fails to put me in the best of moods.