- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
Amanda Allred ’14
What made you choose the school?
I am a senior. I was drawn to Lake Forest due to the strong sense of community—in the classroom, in extracurricular organizations, in residence halls. I felt Lake Forest would allow me to reach my full potential and to break out of my shell.
What are you studying and what is the career path you would like to take?
I am a neuroscience major and English minor, and I’m not certain what I want to do yet! I plan on going to graduate school, but I’m not sure what I want to study—too many choices! Right now I am thinking of studying genetics or public health. I plan on taking some time off to work and travel before going back to school.
Who is your favorite professor at the college? Why?
Dr. Jill Van Newenhizen (Dr. J), who was my professor for calculus I and II. She is a great teacher and will explain a concept in multiple ways until it becomes clear. She truly cares about you as an individual and wants you to succeed. She is completely devoted and passionate about teaching, which she makes apparent by being available in office hours nearly every day of the week.
What is your favorite social media and why? Do you have a Twitter handle?
Tumblr. I made an account when I was studying abroad in New Zealand so that I could blog about my experiences and my friends and family could follow me. After I got back, I kept using it because it helps me follow the news.
Where is your favorite place on Lake Forest College's campus and why?
The Calvin Durand Wood Lounge. I think it’s really cozy! I especially like it in the winter when they turn the fire place on. It’s a good place to study and hang out.