- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29873_header-aerial.rev.1450206652.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
Victoria Karker ’18
Victoria has tips for how to deal with stress when you’re in college. She’s a Wellness Peer Educator, so she knows her stuff!
“The mental and physical well-being of the College is an important topic that I became interested in during my first year at the College,” she said. “I realized the best way to aid people is in unique ways of educating them about their well-being.”
Working in the Health and Wellness Center gave Victoria the opportunity to help faculty around campus and perfect her public speaking skills.
“I fully enjoy working with our other Wellness Peer Educators in finding different ways to reach our peers about wellness related topics.”
She decided to attend Lake Forest College because she liked the small school environment. “I liked the friendly atmosphere where I could feel comfortable getting involved in anything and everything.”
What did you think of the faculty?
Lake Forest College possesses a rare quality of the faculty who are dedicated to the students well being and future in the College and beyond. I enjoy being able to meet with my professors about the course or anything I am interested in.
What was your favorite class?
I can’t choose a favorite class because I’ve taken many fascinating courses with extraordinary faculty. But two of my favorite courses were “Sociology of Terrorism” and “Dictators, Despots, and Tyrants.” In these classes, I was able to piece apart modern day regimes and organizations in a way to understand why people believe and live differently than us. It is humbling and frightening to get inside of the minds of other leaders, but it is always important to open your mind into the world around us.
More information to share?
Like every first-year student, I was intimidated to get involved. I would urge students to at least try one organization. Lake Forest College is an accepting place, and there is something for everyone and if not I can guarantee that there is at least one other person who has the same interest as you!