- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40782_science.rev.1513697713.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40783_law.rev.1513697721.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40781_art.rev.1513697706.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29609_advisor.rev.1448902476.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/35592_shot02-041_v2.rev.1487090405.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40469_Speednetworking3_edited.rev.1510946462.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40780_31484_finance_1.rev.1513697699.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40779_31485_business.rev.1513697684.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29606_internships_and_experience_1.rev.1448900255.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40467_Speednetworking2_edited.rev.1510942416.jpg)"/>
Here's the story
After earning a degree from the University of Michigan’s top-ranked master of accounting program, Jordan Cutler believes his finance major from Lake Forest College helped him graduate with high honors, gain admittance to the international business honors society Beta Gamma Sigma, and pass his CPA exam.
“I didn’t have to study as hard or in as much detail on some of the topics because I had such a strong base from my economics, finance, and accounting courses at Lake Forest,” he said. “Lake Forest College has a solid reputation so that when my application went to Michigan, my grades had enough meaning that they took notice.”
Lake Forest faculty not only prepared him through rigorous classes, they provided him with letters of recommendation when he decided to apply to the highly competitive graduate school. “The faculty at Lake Forest are very approachable. Whenever you want to visit, they’re always willing to help,” he said, citing Professors Carolyn Tuttle, Kent Grote, and Robert Baade in particular. “Classes were so small that you got to know your professors.”
Now a tax associate for the large accounting firm Grant Thornton LLP, Jordan works with mid-sized to large corporations to ensure they are in compliance with state and local tax filings. Although the fundamentals he learned at the College helped launch his accounting career, Lake Forest’s focus on building critical thinking and writing skills also serve him well on a regular basis.
“I often have to summarize our position on an issue succinctly,” he said. “Even at our firm, we have seminars for writing skills, but I feel like I am already prepared. I built a core strength at Lake Forest College that carried through to my job.”