- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30485_library.rev.1454952369.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30027_self_designed_major.rev.1451946126.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29871_papers.rev.1452013163.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30024_area_studies.rev.1451945934.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30028_english-_literature.rev.1452013046.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/6/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30025_education.rev.1451945980.png)"/>
Communications and Marketing
Speed Networking 2016
The tables have turned for recent grad Kimiko Guillermo ’16, who will attend Speed Networking this year as a recruiter to help others gain the networking experience she found so valuable in her own job search.
“Speed Networking allows you to get a broad idea of what’s out there in the job market and to start what, in one five-minute conversation, can become a longer networking relationship,” Guillermo said.
Speaking in five-minute intervals with at least a dozen professionals at Speed Networking each year helped the history major and education minor ask a variety of professionals what they liked about their jobs. From there, Guillermo identified good work environments for herself.
“You’re not only selling your skills in the short interviews, you’re also learning about different work environments and how you can apply what you gained from your extra curricular activities or classes,” she said. “Through these conversations, it solidified that I would be able to thrive in an office environment and help people.”
Ultimately, Guillermo landed a job as a recruiter for LaSalle Network, one of the top recruiting and staffing firms in Chicago, which has also expanded to national searches.
“I’d love someone from Lake Forest College to have the same experience,” she said. “That’s why, this time, I’m going to be sitting on the other side of the table.”
Speed Networking will be from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, October 27 in the Sports and Recreation Center.
Students new to Speed Networking must first complete a Prep Session in order to participate. The first session is Wednesday, October 19 at 4 p.m. Click here for the complete list and for more information.
Students who have attended Speed Networking before can complete a short activity instead of attending another Prep Session. Click here to access the activity.