- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/50/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30146_education.rev.1452787986.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/50/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/30147_english-_literature.rev.1452788000.png)"/>
Resources for faculty
Here are some instructions for accessing and using some of the library’s resources, including the New York Times and the Chronicle of Higher Education.
The New York Times
1) Go to http://nytimes.com/passes
2) Register using your College email in this format:
email@example.com (NOT firstname.lastname@example.org!)
3) This will automatically send you an email. Click the link in that email to verify your email address as your username.
4) Go back to http://nytimes.com/passes
5) Login at http://nytimes.com/passes with email@example.com (not @mx) and the password you have just created. For the next 24 hours, you will be able to see any NY Times article.
6) Once you have a login, you can return to nytimes.com/passes to “claim” a 24-hour pass to the site. This pass will work on multiple devices during the same 24-hour period.
***The free access passes may only work when the College is in session, which means access may not be available during the summer, or during part of the Mid-Semester, Thanksgiving, and Winter Breaks. If you are interested in uninterrupted access year-round, you may wish to take advantage of the NYT Discounted Education Rate, which currently is $5 for 12 weeks, then $1.88 a week thereafter.
Chronicle of Higher Education
By creating a Chronicle account, you can set up alerts to go to your email. Users can search and read premium content on or off campus.
1) If you are on campus, you can simply go to com. If you are on or off campus, go to cacheproxy.lakeforest.edu:2969.
2) Click on the “Log In” link on the top, right-hand side of the web page.
3) Choose the “Create an account now” option.
4) Enter your name, Lake Forest College email address, and position, which will send a confirmation email to your Lake Forest College email account.
5) In the confirmation email, click the link, and then follow the steps on the account setup pages.
Kanopy streaming video
Kanopy provides a unique collection of films in the world, including award-winning documentaries, training films, and theatrical releases, including the Criterion Collection titles. Watch films anytime, anywhere, on any device.
Change your settings so that Google Scholar knows you’re affiliated with Lake Forest College.
1) Click on“settings” in the upper right corner of the web page.
2) Choose“Library links” on the left.
3) Type in“Lake Forest College.”
4) Select the College’s options.
5) Save your settings.
1) Go to http://link.lakeforest.edu/googlescholar
2) Bookmark this link on your laptop or other device (or just use the Google Scholar links on the library’s web site).
Regarding Wiley journal articles:
In most cases, the Library pays $14 for each Wiley article downloaded (using an electronic token system). We budget for this and are thrilled to be able to offer access to Wiley’s >2,000 journal titles. Unfortunately, every week Wiley tokens get used unnecessarily because the downloaded articles are also available in our library databases at no extra cost.
How you can help us conserve our Wiley tokens:
1) Set up Google Scholar to recognize you as having access to Lake Forest College journal subscriptions (see above in Google Scholar).
2) Search for the article by title (if necessary, put the title in quotes and/or add the author’s last name).
3) Always choose these links that appear to the right of the article you are seeking:
- “Check Lake Forest College” (when it appears)
- Any link on the right-hand side of Google Scholar
How do you know you’re about to use a Wiley token?
If you land on the http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/ site and see this message: “Select the confirm option to access the Article. All users at Lake Forest College will have access to this Article for 24 hours,” and click “confirm,” you’ve used a token.
When you use a token to view a Wiley article:
Please save the article to your computer or flash drive (or print it, upload it to Moodle, etc.); after 24 hours any new download of the article will result in another token being spent.