Always check with your instructor to determine the preferred citation style for your class. Many style guides are available on the Ready Reference shelves.
MLA (Modern Language Association) Style is typically used when writing papers for English, philosophy, and some other humanities.
- MLA 7 examples not shown in the Hacker — includes MS Word formatting tips for page numbers, hanging indents, etc.
- MLA 8 guide from EasyBib/Chegg — Note: FIYS courses and most of the College are still using MLA 7 for the 2016-2017 year.
APA (American Psychological Association) Style is typically used when writing for psychology and other social sciences, as well as the sciences.
- HGSE APA Guide — recommended by Lake Forest College Psychology Department faculty
- APA examples not shown in the Hacker — includes MS Word formatting tips for page numbers, hanging indents, etc.
- Best of the APA Style Blog: 2015 Edition — includes sample papers
- More APA
Chicago Style is often used for history, economics, art history, or other papers requiring footnotes.