- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40783_law.rev.1513697721.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/35592_shot02-041_v2.rev.1487090405.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40782_science.rev.1513697713.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40467_Speednetworking2_edited.rev.1510942416.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29609_advisor.rev.1448902476.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29606_internships_and_experience_1.rev.1448900255.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40781_art.rev.1513697706.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40469_Speednetworking3_edited.rev.1510946462.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40779_31485_business.rev.1513697684.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40780_31484_finance_1.rev.1513697699.png)"/>
Whether you choose to earn academic credit or not, summer is an excellent time for completing a summer internship.
The right summer internship will give you the experience to get an edge on your career. Why summer?
- More time available to spend at your internship site
- Explore a new geographic area - you could live on-campus, in downtown Chicago, at home, or someplace completely different
- Access to special summer internship programs, such as the ACTIVATE program.
Employers increasingly look to their interns when they are considering full-time candidates, so performing well in a summer internship can be an important part of preparing yourself for life after graduation.
Work and Learn Together
Students will work with their Faculty Internship Supervisor/Internship Specialist and the Career Advancement Center to set internship goals and target employers able to offer meaningful learning experiences.
For-credit interns will work with a Faculty Internship Supervisor/Internship Specialist throughout the summer to put learning front and center, with well-designed assignments that will lead you further along your path toward whatever your final goal may be. Some students will even participate in regular in-person or virtual seminars with their supervisor throughout the summer. Find your Faculty Internship Supervisor/Internship Specialist in the right sidebar and log into ForesterLink to identify and schedule an appointment with your career advisor.
Am I Eligible?
Summer internship credit is available to Lake Forest College students with junior standing or above by the start of their internship. Other Lake Forest College students may request to be admitted to the summer internship program and will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Eligible Lake Forest College students may earn credit for completing between 150 and 300 hours for college credit along with the requirements provided by their Faculty Internship Supervisor.
We’re On Each Other’s Team
Students work with the Career Advancement Center and their Faculty Internship Supervisor/Internship Specialist no later than the spring semester in order to secure an opportunity that meets the academic internship guidelines and your career goals. Summer internships vary in length, duration, and geographic location. While there are many great internships in Chicago, your career advisor can also help you to develop search plans for any place you might hope to go. The earlier you start your search, the more likely you are to get a good internship.
The Career Advancement Center will help you to explore your options, polish your cover letter/resume, and prepare for interviews, as well as to collaborate with you and your Faculty Internship Supervisor/Internship Specialist to troubleshoot your internship search if you have any trouble finding the right internship. Some internship sites may require you to earn credit, particularly in the sciences or psychology, so make financial plans early.
As soon as you secure your internship, submit the appropriate registration paperwork. The preferred registration deadline is May 16 for all summer internships. In order to be approved for summer internship credit, you will need to submit all requested materials prior to the start of the internship; to earn credit, you must complete all academic requirements concurrently with internship completion - there is no retroactive credit. See the for-credit internship page for details. You should not start your internship before securing approval.
Your Faculty Internship Supervisor/Internship Specialist can help you set start/end dates to ensure requirements and hours are completed appropriately. You may be expected to align the start or completion of your hours and academic work with that of other students to facilitate online or in-person group activities that can enhance your internship experience. All requirements should be completed by July 31; some exceptions can be made for internships that extend into August, with approval from your Faculty Internship Supervisor/Internship Specialist and the Director of Internships.
Do you need financial support?
There are two ways to obtain funding to off-set the costs of completing a summer internship:
1. Summer Grant: Contact Adriana Rodriguez in the Office of Financial Aid to determine your eligibility for a summer grant to reduce the cost of summer tuition. Email her with your full name and the number of internship and non-internship credits you hope to earn for the summer. She can provide you with your cost per credit now – even without your internship secured.
ACTIVATE: Summer Internship Program students should reference the program materials for funding information.
2. Lake Forest College Internship Funding Program: Students completing unpaid internships are eligible for up to $2,500 to help alleviate costs associated with their experience. Students from ALL majors and completing internships in any field are eligible for the program. The funding program has a competitive application process, and you will not receive final approval for funding until your internship is verified.
Are You Ready?
Review your next steps and the academic internship guidelines outlined on our For-Credit Internships page.