- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40779_31485_business.rev.1513697684.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29606_internships_and_experience_1.rev.1448900255.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40783_law.rev.1513697721.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40469_Speednetworking3_edited.rev.1510946462.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/35592_shot02-041_v2.rev.1487090405.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40467_Speednetworking2_edited.rev.1510942416.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29609_advisor.rev.1448902476.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40781_art.rev.1513697706.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40782_science.rev.1513697713.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40780_31484_finance_1.rev.1513697699.png)"/>
Some internships are paid and some are not. The College, as well as external providers, offer funding to help students cover costs associated with unpaid or low-paid internships.
Lake Forest College Internship Funding Program
Available to all students completing unpaid internships (with the exception of internships that are part of an off-campus study program, such as the In The Loop program). Priority will be given to domestic internships and rising juniors and seniors who are completing internships for credit.
Funding is meant to assist with the cost of only one unpaid internship that a student would not otherwise be able to pursue, due to financial constraints, during their time at the College. Funding awards are largely based on financial need.
Students may qualify for funding up to $2500 to help alleviate costs associated with their experience. However, typical awards range from $300-$1000 and are usually granted for transportation and other costs above and beyond the cost of a typical semester at the College. As such, housing costs will only be considered during summer terms. Funding is not available to cover the cost of the credit.
Please note that funding is limited and is not guaranteed. Therefore it is strongly recommended that students budget for internship-related expenses and pursue additional funding sources.
Late applications (after the final deadline) will only be considered under special circumstances and require an appeal to the Associate Director of Internships. Please contact email@example.com if you wish to submit an appeal for a late funding request.
Secured an internship and ready to apply?
Students are required to have an internship secured when applying for the funding program. If you have secured an internship, please complete the Internship Funding Application.
Still searching for an internship?
Students may indicate their interest in funding if they have not yet secured an internship. To indicate your interest, please complete the Internship Funding Interest Survey.
Leslie Chapman Memorial Museum Internship
In memory of former VP of Business Affairs at Lake Forest College. Winner is given an internship with the Lake Forest/Lake Bluff Historical Society and a stipend to cover expenses. Internships offered each fall, spring and summer.
Prestigious multi-year internship, mentorship, and scholarship program sponsored by the James S. Kemper Foundation. The Kemper Scholars Program’s mission is preparing students for professional leadership positions through experiential workplace learning that applies what they learn in their academic programs. The Foundation believes that undergraduate study of the liberal arts represents the best preparation for life and career. The program aims to promote education in the liberal arts while providing students opportunities for career exploration and practical experience. Students apply in their first year at Lake Forest College.
Gilman Scholarship Program
The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program offers grants for U.S. citizen undergraduate students of limited financial means to pursue academic studies or credit-bearing, career-oriented internships abroad. Such international exchange is intended to better prepare U.S. students to assume significant roles in an increasingly global economy and interdependent world. Awards may be made for summer or semester credit-bearing internships. Students must be eligible for a Pell Grant to apply. See Ashley Sinclair in the Global Engagement Office for details.
In memory of a former Union College professor. Students submit an essay about interest in obtaining an internship in D.C. to be eligible for $1500 in funding. Deadline is usually in March.
The B.A. Rudolph Foundation provides financial and professional support to undergraduate women with summer internships in public service (in Washington, DC) and STEM internships nationwide. The goal of the stipends is to cover the living expenses, making it feasible for students to accept unpaid internships. Application deadlines are specific to the scholarship, but are usually in the end of March.
In addition to the information provided here, students may receive e-mail messages about additional funding opportunities and can consult with their Career Advisor and the Financial Aid Office about strategies for making an internship in their chosen field financially accessible. Students should start internship planning and budgeting early.