- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29609_advisor.rev.1448902476.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40783_law.rev.1513697721.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/35592_shot02-041_v2.rev.1487090405.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40779_31485_business.rev.1513697684.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40781_art.rev.1513697706.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40780_31484_finance_1.rev.1513697699.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40467_Speednetworking2_edited.rev.1510942416.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29606_internships_and_experience_1.rev.1448900255.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40469_Speednetworking3_edited.rev.1510946462.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40782_science.rev.1513697713.png)"/>
We can help you create an internship search plan.
Are you a rising junior or senior?
For-credit internships are available to juniors and seniors who wish to pursue an opportunity linked to their areas of study. Internships are supervised by an Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor who helps facilitate learning and self-reflection. Learn more about the guidelines and process for obtaining a for-credit internship below.
Read the complete For-Credit Internship Guidelines here. Highlights include:
- For-credit Internships are open to rising juniors and seniors.
- International students must receive employment authorization from Erin Hoffman, Associate Dean of Students. For more information, students must contact Erin Hoffman, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Before the Career Advancement Center will approve an internship for credit, students must be approved by the Dean of Students, the Title IX Coordinator, their Faculty Academic Advisor, and their Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor.
- International students require additional approval from Erin Hoffman, Associate Dean of Students.
- In The Loop students require additional approval from Jennie Larsen, Director of Center for Chicago Programs.
- The Career Advancement Center will request the above approvals on the student’s behalf.
- Internship must be aligned with student’s area of study.
- The bulk of the internship work must take place at the site. Remote internships will typically not be approved.
- A student will not typically receive more than a total of three internship credits while at the College; a maximum of two credits will be awarded for each internship. Exception: Students in the “In the Loop” Program may earn a fourth internship credit during that program.
- 1 credit = approximately 150 hours of on the job experience.
- Commission based internships will not be approved.
- In order to earn credit, you must complete all academic requirements concurrently with internship completion - there is no retroactive credit.
- You should not start your internship before securing approval from the Career Advancement Center.
- International students cannot start an internship before they receive CPT or OPT authorization from Erin Hoffman, Associate Dean of Students.
Interested? Take these steps:
- Review the complete For-Credit Internship Guidelines.
- Connect with your Faculty Academic Advisor to ensure that a for-credit internship will fit into your academic plan.
- Complete the For-Credit Internship Interest Survey. You will be assigned to a Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor who will help you with your internship search.
- Meet with your Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor (see list on right) to discuss the for-credit internship approval process.
- Work with your Career Advisor to create your resume, craft cover letters, and prepare for interviews. Please note, for certain pathways, your Career Advisor and your Internship Specialist may be the same professional.
- Complete and submit the required For-Credit Internship Application, once you have secured an internship. You must contact your Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor to receive access to the application.
Deadlines to obtain an internship and submit the for-credit internship application:
Fall/Spring: Students should work with their Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor to complete and submit their for-credit internship application at least one week prior to the add/drop date for classes to allow time for approvals.
Summer: The preferred registration deadline for summer internships is the first day of the first summer session. All requirements and hours must be completed by July 31, unless the student receives special permission from their Internship Specialist or Faculty Internship Supervisor and the Director of the Career Advancement Center to finish after this date. Learn more about summer internships on the Summer Internships page.
Students who are not yet eligible for a for-credit internship, have used all available internship credits, or wish to obtain an internship that does not meet for credit internship guidelines may choose to pursue a non-credit internship. Some internships are only available for credit through Internship Specialists or Faculty Internship Supervisors; in these cases, students will work with their Career Advisor to search for non-credit internships, if available.