- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29606_internships_and_experience_1.rev.1448900255.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40782_science.rev.1513697713.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40780_31484_finance_1.rev.1513697699.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29609_advisor.rev.1448902476.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40783_law.rev.1513697721.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40467_Speednetworking2_edited.rev.1510942416.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40469_Speednetworking3_edited.rev.1510946462.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/35592_shot02-041_v2.rev.1487090405.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40781_art.rev.1513697706.jpg)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/20/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/40779_31485_business.rev.1513697684.jpg)"/>
Knowing Yourself: Career Assessments
One of the first places to start when considering how knowing yourself impacts your career decisions and planning is to consider what makes you you.
(Click each image above for an assessment.)
Career assessments come in two major forms: informal, or self-assessments, and formal. Both types are available through the CAC and can help you combine your interests, skills, and values to determine the major(s) you’d like to pursue and the career you want to attain.
You can see this process in action with our Lake Forest College Career Wheel.
Self-assessments can be accessed on our site by clicking the images above and completed on your own time. We’d then encourage you to discuss your results with a Career Advisor. You can make an appointment by calling the Career Advancement Center at (847) 735-5235.
Formal assessments, such as the Myers-Briggs Type Inventory (MBTI) and Strong Interest Inventory, can be completed by scheduling an appointment. You can do so online, through our touchscreen located in Buchanan Hall, or by calling 847-735-5235.
Myers-Briggs Type Inventory (MBTI)
The MBTI helps you identify your personality preferences, including how you focus your attention and energy, acquire or gather information, make decisions, arrive at conclusions, or make judgments, and how you relate to the outer world. Knowing and understanding your preferences can help you to make career and occupational choices consistent with what is most interesting and satisfying to you.
Strong Interest Inventory
The Strong Interest Inventory measures your level of interest in occupational areas, activities, subjects of study and work environments, and then compares your interests with working professionals in a wide variety of occupations.
Self-knowledge includes a clear understanding of your VIP’s:
Values—Guiding principles that reflect what is most important to you in life.
Interests—Topics or activities that you enjoy and that energize you.
Personality—Your personality reflects who you are, which includes your temperament and the way your mind works.