Below are the most frequently asked questions surrounding internships and our answers. If you have additional questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 847-735-5235.
What qualities must a position possess in order to be called an internship?
The National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) has outlined a definition for what an internship is and qualities that it must possess in order to be called an internship in their Position Statement on U.S. Internships.
In addition, the U.S. Department of Labor has established a definition for unpaid internships, and characteristics that internships must meet in order to be unpaid in Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs Under The Fair Labor Standards Act.
Are Lake Forest College students required to complete an internship for graduation?
Not all departments require students to complete internships for graduation, however it is highly encouraged. Students at Lake Forest College are able to complete internships for-credit, as well as, not-for-credit.
Do internships have to be paid?
According to the U.S. Department of Labor, internships must be paid, unless they meet the six prong test as outlined in Fact Sheet #71: Internship Programs Under The Fair Labor Standards Act.
For additional resources on internships and pay, check out the following:
How do I post an internship?
If you have a registered account in ForesterLink, follow these steps:
- Log in to ForesterLink. Click on My Jobs, then select New Job from the drop-down menu.
- Complete the Position Information, Contact Information, and Posting Information fields.
- Click Save to submit your job for approval.
If you need to register first, follow these steps:
- Click here to be directed to the ForesterLink log in page.
- Under the instructions, click on “Click Here to Register”
- In the Find Your Organization search field, begin typing the name of your organization. As you type, the system will automatically search and display a list of matching organizations below. Note: If your organization’s name can be reference in different ways, please try searching all of them before determining that your organization is not listed.
- If your organization’s name appears, select the box next to the name and click Continue. Complete the Contact Information fields. Click Register when finished.
- If your organization’s name does not appear, click Can’t Find Your Organization? Complete the Employer Information and Contact Information fields. Click Register when finished. Note: You will see a red message informing you that your profile is now complete. Click Submit Profile for office approval.
The Career Advancement Center approves all accounts and job postings. Please allow 1-2 business days for approval. Thank you for your patienve.
How many hours can an intern work?
Intern hours and schedules are decided between the supervisor and the intern. Students completing an internship for-credit have a minimum hours they must meet for that semester. We encourage you to talk to students about hours and availability during the interview process.
What is a stipend?
A stipend is a fixed sum of money paid at the end of the internship to help defray expenses. The amount of the stipend is at the discretion of the employer.