During the 2013-2014 academic year, Lake Forest students received over $575,000 in scholarship funds from private sources! This page will help you locate such funds.
While we believe that the resources on this page are worthwhile, we do not guarantee the authenticity of the information and/or Web sites, and do not endorse the information or services offered. Deadlines and other dates are assumed to be valid annually.
If you receive a scholarship, grant, or other aid from a source other than the College, you must report the funds to the Office of Financial Aid. Such “outside scholarships” normally reduce the amount your family pays or the loans you use. It may affect your work-study eligibility, and, in some cases, College need-based grants.
Our Scholarship Pick(s) of the Week:
Walmart Associate Scholarship
The Walmart Foundation offers scholarship programs that benefit qualified Walmart associates and their high school senior dependents.
• Must be a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Legal Resident, and an associate or the dependent of an actively employed Walmart associate for at least six consecutive months as of March 2015; a high school or home school senior graduating or earning a GED between 8/1/14 and 7/31/15 with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.0; must have financial need and demonstrate the need with required documents
Next Deadline: September 3
Additional deadlines will be announced, with likely dates in early December, March, and June.
Individual Scholarship Listing
A printable list of 143 scholarships updated 12/2013 - 2/2014.
A searchable list of the same 143 scholarships.
General Web Sites
- FastWeb - scholarship search - see also: Tips to Winning Scholarships
- Financial Aid Page - scholarship searches and other resources
- Horatio Alger Association - browse scholarships by your home state
- Kaarme.com - browse scholarships by category
- Peterson’s - scholarship search
- SallieMae Fund - four programs with hundreds of scholarships
- Sallie Mae’s College Answer - new scholarship search
- Scholarship Experts.com - scholarship search
- Scholarships.com - scholarship search
Special Categories / Web Sites
Arkansas Students - scholarship search
CPS (Chicago Public Schools) Students - Wentcher Foundation
Hawai‘i Students - over 150 scholarships to pursue
Hispanic College Fund - 10 to 15 scholarships for various grade levels
Hispanic Scholarship Fund - dozens of scholarships for all grade levels
Hispanic Science Scholarships - National Alliance for Hispanic Health
Latino College Dollars - scholarship search
Illinois Students - grants, loans, and scholarships for all grade levels
International Students - scholarship search
Indiana Students - grant and scholarship programs
Maine Students - links to 16 scholarships
Department of Veteran’s Affairs - veterans/children
Iran & Afghanistan - if your parent died in service after 9/11
Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation - 25 military-related resources
Need a Lift? - veterans/children/grandchildren
Military Officers Association of America - veterans/families/grandchildren
Veteran’s Service Organizations
Veterans United Foundation
Minority Students - 200 scholarships
Presbyterian Church, (USA) - programs for members of the PC (USA)
Science Scholarships - undergraduate and graduate studies
State-Specific Aid Programs - going2college.org
- Illinois Students - from the Illinois Dream Fund Commission
- Mexican American Legal Defense & Education Fund - a list from 2011-12
- An undocumented student’s guide to college - IL
Washington Students - scholarship search
The high school guidance office or college planning office are probably the best source of information on scholarships offered in your community. You may also contact your local Chamber of Commerce. Be sure to ask about foundations, religious organizations and civic groups (American Legion or VFW, Jaycees, etc.) as well as organizations related to activities and career field that interest you.
Your parents’ employer (start with the human resources department) may have funds as well, including scholarships, grants, low-interest loans, or tuition payment plans.