Article I Name
The name of this organization shall be called “Eukaryon”.
Article II Mission Statement
The journal’s goal is to celebrate and highlight the academic accomplishments of students achieved within the research-rich classrooms and student-centered research labs of Lake Forest College faculty.
Article III Broad Objectives
1. To provide the students of Lake Forest College an opportunity to display their academic accomplishments in the life sciences.
2. To give students experience with scientific publication, which is a salient aspect of the realm of science.
Article IV Membership Requirements
1. To become a member, one must first fill out the proper application.
2. Each member must attend every scheduled meeting. Members may not miss more than three meetings in one academic year, with the exception of those participating in an off-campus study program.
3. Those members who cannot attend a meeting must stay informed of the progressions made at every meeting and accomplish the tasks assigned by their respective board.
4. Each member must be part of one board within Eukaryon, specified in Article V. Each member’s placement on a board will be determined by number of existing members on each board, then by the member’s preference.
5. Members not fulfilling the requirements stated in Article IV may have their membership revoked. Members faced with revocation may appeal the decision.
Article V Editorial Board Structure
1. Copy Editing Board
2. Review Board
3. Publication Board
4. Features Board
5. Each board is headed by its respective editor. The entire Eukaryon Editorial Board is headed by the Editor-in-Chief and supported by the Editor-in-Chief Elect.
Article VI Board Duties—General
1. The four boards must work together to decide upon specific submission deadlines and publication dates.
2. All boards must agree upon a meeting time that works with a majority of the Editorial Board’s schedules.
3. All four boards must agree upon all submission guidelines Eukaryon sets for submitters.
Article VII Board Duties—Specific
1. Review Board
a. The Review board is responsible for reviewing each submission for proper scientific content, scientific accuracy, referencing, and clarity in a timely manner.
b. The Review Board is responsible for setting submission guidelines pertaining to scientific content, scientific accuracy, referencing, and clarity.
c. The Review Board reserves the right to accept or reject any submission made to Eukaryon with respect to the review guidelines it sets.
d. The Review Board is headed by a Review Board Chair who is responsible for coordinating the entire review process. A Review Board Associate Chair will assist the Review Board Chair in any of his/her duties.
e. During elections for the executive board of the following year, the Review Board Associate Chair is neither given priority nor is obligated to take on the responsibilities of the Review Board Chair.
2. Copy Editing Board
a. The Copy Editing Board is responsible for reviewing each submission for proper grammar, spelling, and formatting in a timely manner after the submission has been accepted by the Review Board.
b. The Copy Editing Board sets the submission guidelines that pertain to proper writing and text formatting styles.
c. The Copy Editing Board reserves the right to make any grammatical, spelling, and formatting changes to any submission made to Eukaryon.
d. The Copy Editing Board is headed by a Copy Editing Board Chair who facilitates the copy editing process.
3. Publication Board
a. The Publication Board is responsible for setting formatting guidelines pertaining to file types and image formatting.
b. The Publication Board reserves the right to make any formatting changes to any submission made to Eukaryon for publication.
c. The Publication Board is headed by a Publication Board Chair and a Publication Board Associate Chair whose role is to assist the Publication Board Chair.
d. The Publication Board Associate Chair is also responsible for formatting and posting each accepted submission for publication on the Eukaryon website by the specified publication date.
e. The Publication Board Associate Chair is responsible for updating all other components of the Eukaryon website.
f. During elections for the executive board of the following year, the Publication Board Associate Chair is neither given priority nor is obligated to take on the responsibilities of the Publication Board Chair
4. Features Board
a. The Features Board is responsible for highlighting the academic as well as non-academic aspects that occur outside the classrooms.
5. Business & Records Manager
a. The Business & Records Manager is responsible for the annual budget, and keeping record of financial transactions.
b. The Business Manager is responsible for the sale of Eukaryon print copies.
c. The Business & Records Manager is responsible for budgets linked to speakers, events, and other unanticipated publication needs.
d. The Business & Records Manager is responsible for taking attendance and recording minutes at each meeting.
e. The Business & Records Manager is responsible for keeping records of all Eukaryon events, communications, manuscript and print archives.
f. The Business & Records Manager is responsible for working with the Web Manager to post the minutes of each meeting on the Eukaryon website.
Article VIII Editor Duties
a. The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for scheduling and holding Eukaryon Editorial Board meetings. It is his/her responsibility to inform all members of meeting times.
b. The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for coordinating with the faculty advisor, student government, faculty members, and Lake Forest College administration to address any matters that pertain to Eukaryon.
c. The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for coordinating with board editors to ensure that the review, copy editing, and web management boards operate efficiently and perform proper duties.
d. The Editor-in-Chief is to work closely with the Editor-in-Chief Elect, training them throughout the year and will pass all their responsibilities to the Editor-in-Chief Elect by the middle of the spring semester.
2. Editor-in-Chief Elect
a. The Editor-in-Chief Elect is to work with the Editor-in-Chief, observing the tasks they will perform during their tenure as Editor-in-Chief.
b. The Editor-in-Chief Elect is to assume all responsibilities of Editor-in-Chief by the middle of spring semester.
3. Board Editors
a. The Review, Copy Editing, Publication, and Features Editors are responsible for ensuring that each board is performing its proper duties specified in Article VII.
b. The Board editors are responsible for coordinating with the Editor-in-Chief and the Faculty Advisor to keep them updated on each board’s progress and to ask for assistance when needed.
Article IX Role of the Advisor
1. The Faculty Advisor coordinates with all the editors to provide any assistance they require.
Article X Elections
1. Eukaryon’s elected positions include Editor-in-Chief, Editor –in-Chief Elect, Review Board Chair, Review Board Associate Chair Copy Editing Chair, Publication Board Chair, Publication Board Associate Chair, Features Board Chair Business & Records Manager and Web Manager.
2. The existing Eukaryon Editorial Board members will elect existing members to these positions before each spring semester concludes.
Article XI Ratification
1. The constitution must be ratified by 100% of the Eukaryon Editorial Board for use.
2. Amendments to the constitution may be proposed by any member of Eukaryon and may be voted upon at any meeting. Ratification of an amendment requires 100% of board agreement.