Test-Proctoring for Students with Disabilities
Please note: Testing accommodations are to be provided by faculty and/or the Learning and Teaching Center (LTC) only for students officially designated (confirmed by written notice) by the LTC. Faculty who have not received such notice from the LTC are not obligated to provide testing accommodations to a student who requests them. We also are unable to offer test-proctoring to anyone outside of the College community.
A student requesting accommodations for the current semester must meet with the Assistant Dean of Faculty for Learning Support at the beginning of the current semester. Once an accommodation plan has been agreed upon, a letter detailing the accommodations to be made will be given to the student to present to the instructor(s). This procedure prompts an open dialogue between instructor and student that allows discussion of the student’s anticipated needs. The instructor and student are then asked to come to an agreement on the best option for testing accommodation. Possible accommodations include:
- the student takes quizzes with the class and tests in a proctored space coordinated by the LTC.
- the student takes tests and quizzes in the faculty member’s lab or office.
- the student takes all tests and quizzes in a proctored space coordinated by the LTC.
Because testing needs vary by course, depending on a student’s disabilities and individual needs, both the student and instructor are strongly encouraged to communicate with one another their expectations, questions, and concerns.
After determining the best course of action for a student’s testing needs for a particular course, the instructor and student both share responsibility in facilitating the process of test-proctoring. Please refer to the timetable below for a suggested guide of steps to be taken and who is responsible for taking those steps.
As soon as the student receives the date for an exam
- The student must obtain a copy of the Test-Proctoring form and complete his/her portion on the top. The student should provide the form to the instructor so that he/she can complete the rest of the form. The form may be obtained one of two ways:
- pick up a form from Jill Zwicke, Department Assistant for LIT, Donnelley and Lee Library Room 131.
- download and print the Test-Proctoring form. (Please be aware: You may type directly into the fields on this form and then print that copy. Some free pdf readers may not allow you to save the form with the information you have entered.)
At least 1 week before an exam
- The student should bring a completed Test-Proctoring form to Jill Zwicke, LIT. At this time, the date and time of the test will be scheduled with Jill, and Jill will confirm details by email.
At least 1 day before the exam
- The instructor should deliver the exam to Jill Zwicke, Donnelley and Lee Library 131.