- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/64/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29926_pre_health_header.rev.1450299900.png)"/>
Applications, Entrance Exams, Forms, and Committee Letter
For all Pre-Health students
You are strongly encouraged to meet periodically with a member of Pre-Health Advising concerning your health professions preparation and application procedures. Students applying to medical, dental, and veterinary programs need to apply over one year in advance and should plan accordingly.
- Introductory information for all pre-health students
- Deadlines for junior and senior pre-health students
- How toapplication write an effective personal statement for your health professions
The Pre-Health Advising committee letter
Some health professions graduate programs require a committee letter (sometimes called a cover letter) from Pre-Health Advising. This letter draws on all that we know about the student from their academic records, test scores, resume, personal statement, and recommendations from individual evaluators. We generally send a single packet containing the committee letter, the student’s letters of recommendation, the waiver form, transcripts and an explanation of our rating system to the application service (or directly to the school). If you are an alum and require a committee letter, please contact the Pre-Health Advising chair at email@example.com.
Forms required for students requesting a cover letter from Pre-Health Advising:
- Form that requests a Pre-Health Advising cover letter
- Waiver and Form that requests a letter of evaluation
- Guidelines for Evaluators (from AAMC)
- Checklist for a complete file
Most (but not all) health professions graduate programs use a centralized application service. Here are a few:
- AMCAS The American Medical College Application Service
- AACOMAS The American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine Application Service
- AADSAS Associated American Dental Schools Application Service
- VMCAS Veterinary Medicine College Application Service
- OptomCAS Optometry Centralized Application Service
- PharmCAS Pharmacy College Application Service
- PTCAS Physical Therapist Centralized Application Service
- CASPA Central Application Service for Physician Assistants
Most health professions graduate programs have a required entrance exam; each is administered several times a year.
We recommend that students take the appropriate entrance exam prior to their senior year. Please note that students applying to medical, dental, and veterinary programs MUST take the appropriate entrance exam by the summer prior to their senior year.
The Career Advancement Center maintains a relationship with test preparation services and practice exams are given at Lake Forest College. Contact the Career Advancement Center and take a practice test with no obligation!!