Alex Shiplett ’16 became a production assistant for “The Bachelor” after studying communication and international relations.
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/25/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29981_communications_1.rev.1450464340.png)"/>
- <div style="background-image:url(/live/image/gid/25/width/1600/height/300/crop/1/29983_communications_3.rev.1450464341.png)"/>
Internships and Careers
All communication students conduct internships in a variety of fields and industries, ranging from public relations to sports and politics, making them highly marketable after graduation.
Lake Forest College facilitates five career communities called Career Pathways to help students explore major/career options and position themselves for the internships that will help them to further prepare for productive and rewarding careers after graduation. Students from all majors can participate in the Career Pathways to shape their career goals alongside of their academic interests.
Because communication majors bring a wide range of interests, they truly can find a home in any Career Pathway.
To get an idea for which pathways students might join based upon some common communication interests, check these out:
- Public Health Advocate – Science and Health Care
- Public Relations – Creative Arts
- Legislative Aide – Law and Public Service
- Writer/Editor – Creative Arts
- Account Executive/Business Analyst – Business and Finance
- Designer – Creative Arts
- Insurance Underwriter – Business and Finance
Explore the Career Pathways by participating in events, reading profiles of students’ and alumni experiences, and by joining a pathway (or two). Remember to look at the next steps pages to get ideas for immediate ways to prepare yourself for great internships and a productive, rewarding career after graduation.
Review the list of internships below, and you’ll see for yourself that students have made homes in each of the pathways using their unique skills and talents. All communication students are required to complete an internship as part of their major.
Students have interned at hundreds of sites over the years. Here are a few:
- American Diabetes Association
- American Leadership Council
- CBS Radio
- Chicago Blackhawks
- Chicago Bulls
- Chicago International Film Festival
- Chicago Public Radio
- Chicago Sky
- Cumulus Media
- ESPN Deportes Radio
- FACETS Multimedia
- The Field Museum
- Joffrey Ballet
- Make-A-Wish Foundation
- NBC 5 Chicago
- Ravenswood Media
- Ravinia Festival
- Starcom Mediavest Group
- World Chicago