At Lake Forest, both quality academic programs and internship experiences help students prepare for the working world. Our proximity to Chicago offers access not only to extensive internship options, but also to a network of powerful alumni and friends.
Instead of teaching what scientists know, we’re educating students to become scientists. Because our students know how to analyze data, think critically, and solve problems they get some of the top internships in the most prestigious institutions and labs across the country.
Biology internships provide Lake Forest students with a wide range of options for gaining valuable professional and health professional experience outside the classroom. Some even lead to their names on scientific publications or presentations at scientific meetings.
Lake Forest students can pursue up to three for-credit internships. Our location in the Chicago metropolitan region offers a wide variety of internship possibilities.
Types of internship and other settings include:
- Children’s Reconstructive Surgery Highland Park Hospital
- Robb Orthodontics
- Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago
- Lake Forest Pediatric Dentistry
- Illinois Bone and Joint Institute
- Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine
- Consolidated Pathology Consultants
- North Shore Health Center
- Lake Forest Hospital
- Lake Forest College faculty laboratories
- Chicago Field Museum
- Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science
- Chicago Botanic Garden
- Glenview Animal Hospital
- Blue Pearl Specialty and Emergency Medicine for Pets
- Preiser Animal Hospital
- Lincoln Park Zoo
- Shedd Aquarium
- Wildlife Discovery Center
- Lake Forest Open Lands Association
- Morton Arboretum
- Safer Pest Control Project
- Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute, Panama
- Montverde Institute, Costa Rica
We also have a great summer internship program with Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science (RFUMS) up the road from campus. Each summer, between 10-15 undergraduates conduct 10 weeks of paid research as LFC-RFUMS summer research fellows.