Minor in African American Studies
No major is currently available.
The Minor in African American Studies requires 6 credits as described below.
- African American Studies 110: Introduction to African American Studies
- African American Studies 216: African American Literature I
- Independent Research Project to be approved by the African American Studies Chair.
Three Elective Courses:
Select courses from the following list. One of the three courses must be at the 300-level.
- African American Studies 312: Black Metropolis: A Study of Black Life in Chicago
- Communication 380: Black Cinema
- English 217: African American Literature II
- English 218: Blues Women in African American Literature
- English 325: Black Literature of the 60s and its Legacy
- English 351: Junior Colloquium. Content varies depending on topic. Fulfills minor only when topic emphasizes African American experiences.
- History 226: American Civil War
- History 230: African American History
- History 306: Civil Rights Movement
- Music 227: History of Jazz
- Philosophy 258: Spike Lee and Black Aesthetics
- Philosophy 271: African American Philosophy
- Politics 217: African Politics
- Politics 234: Urban Politics
- Politics 242: Politics of the Third World
- Politics 328: Topics in American Politics: Race
- Psychology 205: Stereotypes, Prejudice, and Discrimination
- Sociology and Anthropology 221: Cultures of Modern Africa