Assistant Professor of History
PhD History, University of Toronto.
M.Phil History, Aligarh University, Aligarh, UP, India.
MA History, Aligarh University, Aligarh, UP, India.
BA History, Aligarh University, Aligarh, UP, India.
History of South Asia
Turkish Sultanates and Mughals of India: 15th to the 18th century
17th- and 18th-century Indian Urban History
South Asian Islam
Women in Islam
Mughals: history, economy, political theory
Bhakti and Sufi movements in India
Eighteenth century Indian history
The Effect of British Imperialism on Indian Crafts and Industries
The Partition Movement (1947) and its Repercussions
Culture, Media, Religions
History 110: World Civilizations to 1650
First-Year Studies 159: Caste, Gender, and Minorities in Modern India
History 207: Introduction to Islamic Cultures and Civilizations
History 216: History of India
History 217: Modern South Asia
History 345: Islamic Culture(s) in South Asia
History 347: Race and Empire in Colonial South Asia
“Law and Administrative Practices: Institutionalizing Sovereignty in Eighteenth Century India.” in Varsha Joshi and Surjit Singh, ed., Culture, Polity and Economy, Rawat Publications, 2009.
The Family of Shamsabad: the house of Nawab Dulah, (limited edition), 2008
Review of Engaging the Muslim World, Juan Cole, Palgrave Macmillan Press, New York, 2009, 282, Interreligious Insight, (October, 2009)
Review of How to win a cosmic war: God, Globalization, and the end of war on terror, Reza Aslan, Random House, New York, 2009, 228, Interreligious Insight, (October, 2009)
Review of American Muslim Women: Negotiating Race, Class, and Gender within the Ummah, Jamillah Khan, New York University Press, New York, 2009, 292, Interreligious Insight, (July, 2009)
Recent Conference Presentations
- “Ideological Adjustment of Indian Muslims: Twelve families of Uttar Pradesh”, Association for Asian Studies Conference, Philadelphia, March 2010.
- “Moralizing Rhetoric of the Precolonial States: Position of Women in 18th-century Rajasthan.” Association for Asian Studies Conference, Boston, 2007.
- “Shahjahanabad (Delhi): And Imperial Capital or Camp City? A Review of Bernier’s Testimony.” 85th Canadian Historical Association, York University, Toronto, 2006.
- “Exemplification of the Use of Urban Space in Eighteenth-century Jaipur.” 34th Annual Conference on South Asia, Madison, WI, 2005.
- “State Formation in Eighteenth-century Jaipur.” 18th European Conference on Modern South Asia, Lund, Sweden, 2004.
Current Research Projects
- “Indian paradigms of political authority and the usages of urban spaces: Jaipur City as an eighteenth century example”
- “Timeless Indian Traditions in the Indian Commercial Cinemas: Perpetuation of East and West Dichotomies”
- “Jaipur State and Its Fiscal Partners: The Ruling Elites as Bureaucratic Co-Sharers of Power and Resources”