Coming 2018-2019 Academic Year: New Science Center
Lillard Science Center: Envisioning the future
Innovative design and technology reflects forward-thinking curriculum
Envisioning that future discoveries will be increasingly interdisciplinary in nature, the new science Center will accommodate the multi-disciplinary needs of the biology, chemistry, physics, and psychology departments, as well as the environmental studies and neuroscience programs.
The $43 million renovation and addition project will transform the existing science center into a 130,000-square-foot state-of-the-art research and teaching facility.
The Lillard Science Center provides:
- Increased capacity to support highly valued faculty-student collaborative research
- A consolidated facility to allow for research and exploration across the disciplines and encourage interdisciplinary problem solving
- State-of-the-art equipment in labs to facilitate hands-on training in the use of modern instrumentation
- Expansion of teaching lab capacity with 21st century flexible teaching labs that support the latest pedagogies and discussion-based inquiry
- Versatile modern spaces to facilitate collaboration among students for group work and breakout sessions as well as informal interaction
- Additional office and research space to permit expansion of the science faculty
The Lillard Science Center Renovation and Addition Project promises to be a centerpiece of the College’s next comprehensive fundraising campaign, which is currently in the leadership gift phase. Private support for the project is critical, as the College does not intend to borrow funds in order to maintain its aggressive timeline. If you are interested in supporting the project, please contact Philip Hood, Vice President of Development and Alumni Relations, at email@example.com.
The Stantec senior architect, Michael Reagan, provided an information session on January 29, 2015, for faculty, staff and students. Watch the presentation online.
Construction of the new science wing is scheduled to take approximately 18 months and be completed by the end of the 2017 fall semester. Following completion of the new addition, the renovation of the existing buildings will take place between January 2018 and the following summer. The entire project is scheduled for completion by the beginning of the 2018-19 academic year.